Wednesday, December 22, 2010

DJ is a Lion.. Lion of Zion

Ok.. I promised to write about party. Actually there were two, as next day after Maailmamustrid, was the 30th birthday of my old friend. I must say that first time I have felt completely fine in Tartu. That even though it is fucking cold here. But like I wrote in facebook when advertising the party, we will heat up the place.
So yes, now I have finally performed as an professional DJ. It was really good and I should have had that courage already earlier. I got lots of experience. Certainly, first set was not very good, but every next one was better. People seemed to like. Although I with two other DJ's were playing in downstairs smaller room, when main party hall was in second floor, then Martin, my friend who is resident DJ there, said that sometimes down there seemed to be even better party feeling. Well, our room was smaller, so it felt sometimes full. Yes, I wouldn't complain, it was really great.
As vanity is my favourite sin, I have to say that hopefully I got little bit more fame now. Well, as an attention freak I certainly got a needed dose again. BTW, it is interesting how DJ profession has an effect on social life. Like Kudrun said, DJ is for everyone, everyone feels some connection with the performer. Like with famous actors, everyone wants to get to know the DJ. When some random guy goes to talk with a hot girl having good time in the party or with some group of people who already know eachother, then it is quite likely that they think: "what this guy wants", but as a DJ I can go to talk with anyone and get accepted. Some girls really seemed interested of getting to know me personally, it was seen from their eyes, smiles and actions, and in these two parties I think two, certainly one showed her interest of me. I too liked that last girl, she is so pretty and seems cool. I didn't do anything stupid.. at least not yet. But it was first time when I needed to put all my strength together to resist. I shouldn't do that to my gyal.. even though she is so far. Or.. I don't know, three years is a long time to wait and she doesn't have to know everything. I really love her, but still, I would like some closeness with girls until I get back to Kenya. Ah, better not to think about that right now. If I don't think, then I don't have to think twice. Well, now is this point where all my readers can comment and advise what should I do, what would be healthier. Then again, I think everything goes just as it goes.. either I have righteousness in my mind or desire.. and my mind fights between these two.
Ok, back to parties. I think I and Ma'Irie, one another DJ with whom I played together, made a good team. I really would like to play with her again in the future. We were about same good at the profession and our music selection fit really well together. Other DJ was little bit different and well, not so experienced, as he really put together music from side to side with really different speeds. But even he got people to dancefloor, so why not, it also gives more experience to him. I'm not perfect yet either. For example I still can't mix really into the rhythm like Dave does. Or well sometimes, when I really know the music and with little bit of luck, I can do it, and actually I have few times done it. Anyway, when so far just practicing or in these private parties, I have felt a little bit insecure and felt that things are bit over my head as I might forget things and track ends too quickly and hundred other things worrying me, then at this party I really felt good. I didn't worry at all. I went with the flow and that was what made that party good (exactly like Simmo said).
Also other party rocked. Yeah, it was rock party.. but this also means that it was very different from the Maailmamustrid. And true, at first it was harder for me to get myself going and connect with others. I'm not so much of a rock guy as I was. Of course this virus is still somewhere in me and I know how to enjoy harder music, but somehow especially after Africa, I have found that reggae and other exotic music makes people more natural, and I like it. I like myself more in that kind of mood and also all the people, they are just like a one living organism to whom DJ pumps music as blood. So I felt in Maailmamustrid, it was almost like going back to Africa for these few hours. I wonder if people from parties like Maailmamustrid; do their personality choose their musical interest, or does the music they listen create their personality. They really are more free than most Estonians. Ok, still I see some reservations in all Estonians, for some reason people are holding guard over how freely they move/dance/interact, and they tend to hold some personal space or mingle among the group, but hold some distance with others. Even when people get drunk and they start talking with you and basically let you into their group, it rarely happens that next morning you can call to them, or they call you. This is what happens so easily in Africa. Ok, even Kenyans are not absolutely open to socialize with anyone, but it still happens much easier there. In parties you really can find friends over night. Hell, you can find friends everywhere, just visiting post office or shop.. or even on the street. Africa really is hot and ice melts quickly there. This is why people who stay in Africa are changed. They find what humanity really should be, what meaning the brother and friend may have. At least for me it was so.
Also I wanted to say that I tagged this post also as work, because performing as a DJ was in one side work. I got paid, not much, but still. From the other hand, this is best profession. When playing music and seeing people to have fun, it just gives me such a power. Money at this point doesn't even matter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Anonymous said...

Awesome, that’s exactly what I was scanning for! You just spared me alot of searching around