Friday, June 3, 2011

Out of Estonia

I'm on the travel again. This time like a old school hippie - hitching the ride, looking for coach places or staying in a tent somewhere in the beautiful nature. On the way I'll start making necklaces to sell, but I also try to find some jobs. At some point I hope to find a proper job and settle down somewhere for a while. So if any European could offer me something even for a short time, then write to my e-mail. Some have said that I'm crazy, leaving home to south that already has problems with employment or immigration, but I say that it is better to live in insecurity than in never ending depression.
Yes, also travelling is hard and tiresome, but when I got to Vilnius, I felt like just coming out from sauna - tired and hungry, but feeling still good and happy. Even if my mission to get a job fails, then at least I see new places and meet new people. I feel alive at least. Additionally I try to stay in south near the Mediterranean Sea to avoid northern winter. I really feel that I can't tolerate another such winter as was last.
Right now I'm at my friend's (brother Justas from our Kenya family) place in Vilnius, and just resting. Yesterday I looked around in the city. Vilnius is like a hybrid of Tallinn and Tartu, but much bigger and more close-packed. Yes, there are differences in details like Vilnius has much better road network, nice prospects, bigger parks and plazas, beautiful cathedrals and churches, bigger but more classical old town with much more Soviet era additions than for example in Tallinn, but feeling and life is really quite the same. It should make me feel like in home, but it doesn't. Actually I feel homesickness, but not for Estonia, but for Kenya. Lithuanian youth though seems very nice. Surely nicer than Estonians. And it seems that they don't try to create some superficial identity or appearance as youth often does in Estonia. They are here who they are - simple and straightforward. And they accept strangers much better. I tell you my people of Estonia, you need to be more open, more friendly and social. Even trying to catch a ride from Tallinn to Tartu was worst part of my trip so far. I waited a car to stop for three hours in a cold seaborne wind. At least guy who took me up at last, was friendly and great to have a conversation.
Road so far! From Tartu to Riga was amazing. First part was with Kudrun's sister and her boyfriend. I had never rode the Elvan way. Amazing - road going up and down the hills, mighty forests surrounding, here and there some farmhouses either made in old country style from wooden logs, or then ones with red clay cover , reminding me a little of south... I mean Africa (really I had never seen such red clay covered houses in Estonia before). There was also  old wooden dam and I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it was old watermill there too. Some more old houses and then suddenly high voltage power lines for contrast. There were also some cool place names like Plika or Ruuna. In old country language Plika means a girl. Actually even today it is used as a slang for a little girl. And Ruuna has nothing to do with runes. It means the old and bone-weary horse. There were many other names that I just forgot.
In double town Valga-Valka I just walked over the border to Latvia. It is weird to see all border gates abandoned, windows covered. When you go somewhere by ship or plain you still feel like going over the border, but not by land. Place seems quiet and I thought that Martin's (the boyfriend of Kudrun) warning about waiting for a car there for many hours may come to be true. But actually, in contrary to Martin's belief, getting a car from there wasn't hard at all. It took only about ten to fifteen minutes. Northern Latvia is great. There are even greater forests than in Estonia. Feels like a Nordic jungle, especially now with such a hot sun in the sky. In Northern Latvia I ride with many cars, everyone going forward just a little way. Still, I get close to Riga quite fast. But from there start problems. Cars just shooting by and when I finally get to greater circular road around Riga, then there is roadworks and getting to other side of Riga seems hard. Anyway I have to ride with couple of cars to finally arrive to E67, pretty much straight way to Vilnius. But again I had some problems getting a ride, because on this road, everyone just speeds. A lot of cars with Lithuanian numbers go by and none of them stop for quite a long time, and as sun is showing early signs of approaching evening, I already fear that I don't get to Vilnius this day. But place is nice, weather is best I could want and I have a tent, so it doesn't bother me as much as starting from Tallinn. But I still try for a while. I already sent Justas a message that I probably get to Vilnius next day, but then stops a very cool Turkish guy who lives in a Vilnius. Road is long and when we get close to Vilnius, we both are really tired, but happy to finally arrive. At first he puts me to one bus stop, but after few minutes he returns after picking up one of his friend, as he comes to think that all buses have already gone for this day, so he takes me to city center. Big up for these friendly and funny Turkish guys. They were extremely nice people.
By the way, so far most people have had hard time speaking English. Some even none. But we managed. I was surprised, that I even can say few words, even few most needed sentences in Russian. Here in Vilnius, it seems that people, at least all the youth speaks pretty good English.
Today we go with Mykolas (my other Lithuanian-Kenyan brother) we go for a little trip in Lithuania. It takes me some way back to north, but for sunday we come back to Vilnius again. And after all, I'm sure that this trip will be nice. I can't just ride through every country on the way, and such a straight shooting is pretty much planned for Poland and maybe even for Czech Republic. I try to spend some time again in Austria I think. I still haven't got contact with Elisabeth, my acquaintance through Deviant Art. Then again, Justas gives me contacts of this Czech guy we met in Kenya, and if he can host me for few days, then it would be nice to rest there too. Today I sent few requests for coach surfing in Warsaw, but I think from Warsaw to Czech it may take two days travel, even though I might not go to Prague at all, but to Brno. And when visiting Kudrun, Martin and lil Kaspar, I met Martin's friend Rene from Marseilles and he is willing to host me for one or two days when I get there. Anyway, no problem. Life on the road is like a paradise compared to the life in Estonia.
To finish the first entry of this travel, I think no-one would guess who tried to call me when I was on the way to Vilnius and again early in the morning next day. Even for Mykolas it took three tries to get it right. It was Kate. I don't understand what she wants, but anyway she was very persistent. When I didn't answer, she tried again and again, until in the second morning I had to shut off my phone. If you think that this was cruel, then you probably haven't read through my old posts and don't know what she has done to me. Anyway, I actually also sent her a message that I'm out of Estonia and calling there would be extremely expensive for her and for me too. I wrote that she should send me message if she wants to say something, but she carried on trying to call. Actually I would like to know what was that now. I would never had guessed that she ever calls me again, but I guess Kenya and it's people have even more surprises for me.
So, when you see some guy similar to what you can see on the photos of mine, to travel somewhere in Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Southern France or Spain, then you could just come to talk with me, or offer me ride, or host me, or offer some food. I would be thankful for everything and anything. And do the same to others too. Let the international friendship and mutual assistance show that world can become better place to live. Love and peace to all!

No comments: