Saturday, April 3, 2010

All covered by Africa

29. January
When we go back to Estonia, then probably we are the most polite Estonians. Not to mention that Kenyans thank for everything, they even apologize for things that are no way of their fault. For example yesterday I stepped to Sarah’s heel and she apologized. Something went into my throat when we were eating and I started coughing, she again apologized (to me). Of course I said that, no, I should be one apologizing, but so it is here. Then they also ask all the time: “how are you, how was the town?” and other such things. All that is so easily sticking. Then again, Kenyans have a weird habit to ask whatever they just desire at some random moment and that basically without any politeness: money, chocolate, pens. The worst is that mostly these are our known people who ask, not street kids, and it is much harder to say no to them. But yesterday Joshuah, Jackson and one another Kenyan guy asked us to the cafe and paid our colas. That’s how it is here. It seems like they all are one big family. If someone desires something, then they hope that maybe you can help them. For us, who we believe more into private space and property, who we make quite certain plans for what to spend the money, for us it may be hard sometimes. But still, for me it seemed now quite bad that Helen couldn’t give money to Caroline when she asked it. Of course Helen and actually we all have very limited money, and locals have to understand that we are not rich. Then again, after Helen told me about it, I still felt like maybe I still should give it. I was in a quandary if that would offend anybody (Helen basically) or if I would do wrong, only causing more of such requests.
More about politeness and commons. It is told/written that public signs of intimate relationship are kind of taboo here. Yes, I haven’t seen anybody kissing openly and hugging is done mostly when greeting or leaving. It just doesn’t happen that couple is bound around each other, but holding hands is quite normal. It even doesn’t mean the intimate relationship, as even two men sometimes hold hands when walking on the street. Sarah has held my hand countless times and she has many times confirmed, that this doesn’t mean anything.
-
Yesterday we walked with Sarah and under one truck trailer, there were some guys who when we approached, said to Sarah that she is walking with a beautiful girl. LOL! I really want to get my hair done soon to be more like African man. Although most men cut their hair to zero, then there is some rastas with long hair, but then it is always plaited or in dreads.
-
Today we had to go to police station again, and as usually nothing got clearer for us. Well, little progress was that this time we went to some chief, but also he didn’t have any answers to us, other than come back again after few days. Anyway, Mariann bought herself a new phone. These are cheap here, but I can’t get a new camera. These are at least as expensive as in Estonia and I haven’t seen any Canons anyway.
-
In the town Wesley picked us up with his own car – small pickup truck. So most of us, me included made a ride in back. Road was bumpy. We visited some places that have something to do with the project and finally went to Ainaptich school football pitch to practice for the match that should be tomorrow. There was around 30 players on the field at the same time, but it was still nice training. We have also gone to run last days, so it wasn’t even so hard.
After the match we walked to the place that is called Jerusalem. Around Eldoret we can travel the whole world in a very little time. Jerusalem, Hawaii, Paris, Gaza, London, these are all here. Well, not exactly the same as the real world places, but still. In Jerusalem we went to one hotel to have some cheap chapatis and chai. Chapatis are quite like pancakes, but not sweet (still very good and nutritious, and chai or white tea as they sometimes call it, is simply put a tea with milk (but probably everyone already knew that). Chai is very sweet and good. Then we went home with matatu. Joshuah, Sarah, Bosco and many others came with us just to send us home and then go back again. Or maybe as they now know where we live, then maybe they will visit us sometimes.
-
Right now Eldoret is like three different places for me (not districts/estates, as it has lots of these): the town or town center (most interesting, but also more expensive, and there we get too much unwanted attention); Elgon View (place where we live, nothing else actually than our house and kiosk for some basic food stuff. Maybe after some time we explore it more); and slums as Jerusalem, Hawaii, Huruma, Kipkaren, Ainaptich, etc. Most of the people live in slums. Some in really bad conditions, some in pretty decent ones. Sarah lives in Ainaptich. We haven’t visited her home yet. Kate lives in Kipkaren, in quite modest house. Most of the people are happy with their lives (at least it seems so), and it seems they have enough money to manage. In some cases even more. Today Sarah bought a juice (not the cheapest drink here) and said that tomorrow she will buy for me. I said that maybe it should be me who buys for her, but she didn’t agree. We were supposed to be guests. Anyway, tomorrow we’ll go to dance club and then I certainly do a drink for her.
Basically no-one seems to think about in how bad conditions, in the middle of garbage piles, often even without electricity, they live. No-one is ashamed of their home. Happily they could welcome you at their place. I like it, but toilets even in the town center are really awful.. and of course the garbage problem. We live in Elgon View as some kings and sometimes this feels weird. Well yes, I like our house and that we have decent conditions.
-
Today when we ate dinner, we had accidentally one empty place and then I said that it is for those we miss. At first I said it without much thought, just for easy talk, but then feelings conquered me. I don’t miss Estonia, but my people, my friends. I like our local acquaintances/friends and basically our group. Sometimes I just would like that I could simply take a train or hitchhike to visit my friends. I think about you!

Namna gani? – What’s up?

No comments: