Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bad boys and bad girls aka. More Fire

31. January

In the last post I wrote how I had a little yearning for my people. Today Estonia and even friends seem like a dream I saw last night or even like a fantasy story. As good and unreal as the stories about the dragons. It seems simply impossible that somewhere there is snow on the ground. Mariann asked from me if I would believe it if she would take a snowball from the pocket and throws me with it. She has a good imagination. January is ending, it is evening and still it is hot. Well yes, right now we are also on lower ground than usually. We thought that it would be great to travel a little bit in free days. At first we thought again about going to Kerio valley, and hike to the bottom, but locals said that it is too dangerous without car, because there is some wildlife. Therefore we decided to go to Kakamega rainforest reserve.

-

But first I continue from yesterday’s happenings. In the morning we went to Huruma, where we had this awaited first football match. It was a really amazing game. We started with very intensive offence. Pushed on really hard during all the game and opponents weren’t bad either. Final score 1:1 was satisfactory and it seemed that also opposing team was happy with that. So, on the sport we showed ourselves from good side from the beginning. By the way, I bought myself proper football shoes from here. These were used, but very good and cheap. Thanks to that I got to run really fast on the field, but I also made one incredible fall (because I’m not yet used to these). I had a wrong step when I tried to pass the ball from side to front of the gate, as the chance to score from that would have been almost certain. But instead I made an somersault and bleeded my hands.

-

Afternoon, lots of locals came to visit us and they made the food for us instead of Caroline. Lots of chapatis. Later we went to club. Well, it wasn’t really a club in our sense, but at least we got to dance. First real African bashment. After some wine I and Kate were the first to go onto the dance floor, but immediately more people started to come. With a little time party went wild. Could say that Kate and I, we are a couple now. Can I get closer with Africa? Of course I can, and it is possible that we’ll get there, but then again I’m still not planning to bring a girl with me from Africa. Yet I wouldn’t say no to moving to Kenya myself. Climate is good here, people nice. In Estonia I can’t say that I’m much of a favorite of girls, but here it seems I can get prettiest girls easily. Kate told me that I’m beautiful and many times people said that I dance good, and I believe they really meant it. I think here white people can be really successful in everything. More successful than local people and do it more easily than in Europe or America.

-

Today morning we finally went to church with Caroline. It was terrible. Only funny thing was that pastor talked how small things distract us from God and belief. I would have liked to say: “Words for example, not to mention the big things like church.” Belief is in our heart/head and we can’t even express it verbally very well. And you may argue against me, but I think that if God exists then it is everything and knows everything.. even your thoughts. So you don’t have to go to church to find it, and you don’t need to pray to communicate with it. It was so much talk and singing, but at least for me it didn’t say anything. After the tormenting and awkward churchgoing (because naturally I didn’t go along with any prayer or song), we bought a tents, went home packed things and then to Kakamega. This trip got to be more expensive than we thought, but it is worth it Rainforest is beautiful and cool. It sings and here are lots of different butterflies, monkies and dragons :D

We arrived to camping site, but we don’t stay in tents as we planned, as bandas (little round houses with thatched roofs – traditional architecture here – can really be found everywhere in rural areas even these days) were for some reason cheaper.

Although we had only little time until the sunset, we went to little walk to find Isiukhu falls. Finally we got to swim. Our way back was mostly in pitch black, but as you can see, we didn't get lost. In the "kitchen house" near the other bandas, we met a nice French couple (Slim and Laureen) who talked a lot of interesting things. We prepared the dinner, improvised some spoons (as of course no-one remembered to take these with us) and now we wait for drinking water to start boil. It should happen any moment now.. although we have had the same thought for half an hour at least.

-

In the morning we wake up early and go to serious rainforest hike.

Ongeza moto! – more fire!

Ukuapi? – where are you?

Ngoja! – wait!

No comments: