Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Bothersome Kings

I was at some great art exhibition. There were countless rooms filled with the works of different artists. Some artists were even present to introduce their creations. Some others were part of their artworks.
Most of the people took their time to walk and watch the art in that gigantic gallery, but not me. I rode my bicycle through there without paying attention to anything really well. At one point I came down to a video installation named “The Bothersome Kings”. That got my interest. Around the central video screen were placed posh and antique coaches, creating full square. Video itself didn’t interest me so much. It was kind of bizarre and unrelated pictures with static between them. Audio was also weird reading of series of facts which together created quite pointless story. At least that was my impression. I believe it may have had some kind symbolic meaning, but I certainly was more hit by the coaches and the name of the artwork.
I lifted my bike partly on one of these sofas and started explaining the meaning of this artwork to other viewers. I was so confident and had face like I’d be someone really important. But then i was intervened by one of the artists. He was the one who did most of the practical work with it, realizing the concept of another, a female artist. He tried to explain me that it’s not really right what I’m saying, and that his colleague and co-author knows everything about that piece and can explain it much better. Other artist started talking about their art, but then in turn I intervened her, saying: “No, you are all wrong about it. It has deeper, hidden meaning and possibly you had subconscious reasons for creating it.” Moreover, i said that I as a visitor of this exposition, am client, and client is always a king. King is always right. I have all the right to construct my own concept of it and to tell it to others as absolute truth. After that I started to acquire more and more characteristics and behavior that of a self-centered, tyrant king with absolute power. I even started to execute other visitors whom i simply didn’t like. So, unnoticed to myself i became the part of this artwork. I corroborated why it was named so. I turned into one of these bothersome kings.
This dream gave me good idea that perhaps i should make artwork of my own with the same name and meaning. Probably i would be first artist too, who has to mark out that it was done in co-operation with two other artist, whose names i sadly don’t know, because they are just dream characters. Still, i don’t think that i would copy that piece exactly. It’s just that i don’t like installations much, yet if I’d not come up with better realization and would make that kind of videoinstalletion better than in the dream, i would be even satisfied with that.

No comments: