Saturday, October 30, 2010

Luhya

Here I say before anything else, that I again don't know much about Luhyas and probably my friend Janika (who is in Kenya among Luhya people already second time), who here in blogspot is represented under the name smily6, could tell much more. But anyway, I still met few Luhyas and some of them I consider as friends. About Luhyas I really admire their energy and crazy personality (about what I'll write soon), but I didn't like how Luhya women when in party, seemed bit slutty, because when they are dancing then everything you see is their ass.
I couldn't get much about Luhyas from Caroline either. At first, only thing she said when I asked about them, was that she don't like Luhyas much. Well, finally I squeezed few words out of her, but most of that is again very generalizing (but hey, as I have already started to generalizing then let's get more into it) or relative from the mind of the viewer. Anyway, also Caroline said that Luhyas are bit or bit more than bit crazy. But they really are. So often they make you feel like you would be some conservative and well behaving oldman. But it is not bad.. I mean their craziness. It makes them interesting. And sometimes it even makes us to loosen ourselves a little. And like I said it is anyway a wild generalization.
Caro also again said that Luhyas are supposed to be good witches and do that witchcraft and traditional belief thing more often than others. I don't know.. actually they seemed pretty modern to me, not stuck in the past times, but yes, maybe they are not so fanatical about christianity in the true Luhya lands. And yet most of them are christians not pagan witches.
What I think about them. They really seemed to have good view of themselves (big ego), but it is actually a good trait. Moreover, their energy mixed with this egocentrism and amazingly high self-esteem, makes them most positive people in Kenya (I think) and simply seems sometimes funny, not like the personality of Kikuyu's that surely annoyed me many times. Luhyas are good at socializing (when you can say it generally about most of the people in Kenya, then Luhyas take it to yet higher level). I would suggest that when you live in Kenya for some time, then you surely have to get at least one friend among Luhyas. Or when already friend, why not a lover. You know, Luhyas seem quite openminded.
-
I try to explain. It happened on our trip to Turkana when we stopped in Marich, Pokotland for three days. As our trip to Turkana was somewhat organized by church officials, then we traveled with some church guys and in Marich we stayed in the church guesthouse. But this is already theme for another time. There was also one Luhya woman (Rachel) traveling with us from Kitale to Marich. I think she was teacher in some school and sister to one of these church guys. She was extremely energetic and cheerful.. like them all. Also, when she spoke then everything suggested to some inner strength.
But actually I have to start from things not concerning her. It was first evening; these church guys and some Kenyan girls sat outside, talking. I joined them and somehow talk went to us, whiteguys and black girls. At one point, one of these church guys said that I should choose myself one Kenyan girl and little bit later they suggested me Kate. They didn't know anything about me and Kate and because our thing was almost at the endline, I didn't say anything. Ok, this was one day. Next day we sat outside, these church guys, I and maybe some other white guys too.. but only men.. no I think it was only black guys and me. But Rachel was close and her brother called her to us. He said that Rachel wants a white man and basically then he offered her to me. It was halfway joking, yet Rachel seemed really to want a white guy and seemed to take most of this talking more or less seriously. Well, her brother also said that of course before making my mind If I want I could even try her out and it really seemed that if I would have said ok, then also Rachel would have been ok with it. But I rejected, saying pretty clearly that I liked last evening's offer more and then suggested Justas as he has free heart and he is taller than me (because Rachel was quite tall.. taller than me.. and actually growth of the woman does matter.. at least for me). Then they of course called Justas and started negotiating with Justas. Justas although could have even got her phone number, took it also absolutely as a joke. Poor Rachel! I would actually say that she would have been good deal - beautiful, intelligent, strong personality, was supposed to cook well, funny, optimistic, and bit crazy.. like a true Luhya character.
-
I don't remember if this was after that or before, but anyway I also came to know about some cultural features and even something about sexual commons of Luhyas. I don't know how much is there a truth, but at least Luhyas were supposed to do or like to do some things that mostly are taboos for other Kenyan peoples (and certainly taboos to the people away from big cities.. Luhya land's greatest town is Kitale and although little bit bigger than Eldoret, it is still pretty small town where should be more or less "back in days" beliefs and commons). But, for example, Luhya women were supposed to like fingering. Thing is, I actually like to do that. Other such normally taboo thing was, that Luhyas were supposed to believe that having sex when pregnant is good. Anyway, also I think that when they are so energetic and crazy in their everyday life, then this may also apply in bed. And if this is not enough for men, then knowing how much Europeans and Americans would like a good chicken for dinner in Kenya, then know also that Luhya traditional foods are everything with chicken.. and they usually do it well. So, white men; go to Kenya and take yourselves a Luhya woman. ;) I'm not very good chicken eater, so I prefered Kalenjin and Kisii.

No comments: